Sunday, June 8, 2008

Alas! it beats no more!

Very sadly I announce that after a year and more of steady service it has finally given in to the demands of physics. My Sennheiser MX550 earphones are no more! Just an hour ago it lost it's growl and went out with a squeak...

Very faithfully it played it's part with precision and single minded dedication- now it lies in a sorry loop on my table, quite lifeless. Ah! But all things must come to an end, still as a testimony I vouch for it's unbeaten record and durability. Among many other myriad mishaps it suffered a most grievous accident when by some quirk it found itself on the floor, and had to be subjected to the humiliation of being dragged underneath the door. But after salvaging it's remaining pride it put up a brave front and continued thumping and grooving in my service. For more than a year thence it added quality to my otherwise uneventful life. Now with it's untimely departure I feel like I've lost a faithful friend and... please bear with me while I compose myself and force back these potentially embarrassing tears.

Now like all journeys in life the old must give way to the new. And thus I find myself in the most unsavory position of having to read endless reviews on the net before I finally go and lighten my wallet by a substantial degree! The MX550 were reasonable at around 1600 rs but now with it's unexpected retirement I feel pressured to upgrade to a better pair of cans; and this time I might as well go with a full sized headphone. It will give me a broader field to enjoy both my music and movies- despite my grief a not so undesirable situation really!

I had concluded that I'd need to spend at least 3000 bucks on a Sennheiser again but i read some reviews that have given my wallet some hope. The Philips SHP 5400 is reportedly a giant killer- at a bargain price. And like someone once said no other word makes an Indian as deliriously happy as the word 'bargain'! So tomorrow I'm gonna go and try to get a hold of one of these for a live review. They are said to cost around 2000 bucks but availability is going to be an issue since a lot of people seem to like them; surprisingly even audiophiles too who usually steer clear of anything outside the world of Shures and Grados.

After I've made my purchase I'll let you guys know how the relationship has taken off. I'll make sure to post some pictures too. Till then keep praying for success in my endeavor and if you have time a moment's silence please in memory of my dearly departed MX550.

" He bawled with agony- that thing of aural beauty,
yet, with it's last cry it sang- ah, surely a song consigned to posterity!"

No comments: