Saturday, April 11, 2009

MUSICA DIVINA!


I was thinking to myself a couple of days ago and remarked how music is in such an exciting state currently. I am a product of the 90's( late 90's to be very accurate) and though the music of those times have very nostalgic qualities to them, they were also undeniably in a state of suspension; 'Backstreet Boys' and 'N Sync' ruled the charts for Chrissakes! Without taking away anything from their entertainment value, those were hardly of the same stature as the terrific Art Blackeys and Ella Fitzgeralds of the preceding decades-not by any stretch!

What makes music monumental and what makes it decidedly popcorn entertainment is, I personally think, its originality and genuineness. Music like any other form of expression has a soul and the only way to communicate with the soul is through genuineness. This is the quality that music aficionados clamor for, when modern music is being taken into perspective.

My excitement owes itself to the spying of the same qualities of the great eras in some of the music today. I am going to list out a few of the artists, and mind you keep your prejudiced opinions somewhere else...

1. Lil Wayne- Ha,ha,ha, I can literally hear some of you cuss out loud at that! But seriously I mean it to be no joke because that man is hugely talented! Rap after Biggie and Tu Pac had utterly become a bad joke, but that man in his laughable baggy jeans and with that inimitable smirk is bringing so much freshness into the genre. I know that I may sound audacious but I rank him up there with Tu PAc and Biggie. Can't wait to see what he does in the next few years!

2. Jamie Cullum- Ok, Michael Buble has been doing a very good job of bringing Jazz into the mainstream ( the purists would scream for my blood at the usage of that sacred J word to describe what he does). But he cannot be called original in any sense because he deals with the art of reinvetion. Jamie Cullum on the other hand is amazing for what he is doing- taking the genre associated with old men and tobacco pipes, and imbuing so much coolness that the young can identify with. He will go very far if the world still has its head on the right way:-)

3. Jazmine sullivan- This young girl has a lot going for her. An amazing vocal, great song writing skills and Grammy nominations- and to top it all that enviable quality called 'SOUL'. When I listen to her I can't help but remember the great old ladies like Ella Fitzgeral, Arethra Franklin, Count Bassie. And furthermore, given the fact that she has been in the business just a few years one can only expect her to hone her skills to higher levels.

4. Amy Winehouse- I have had my eyes, and ears, on this one before she became the star, and junkie, she is now. That voice! Ah, pure ecstasy is the only way I can describe it. There are many people with amazing voices but few with the rawness and irreverence that she possesses. I just wish she would get a grip on herself and get back to making music because that's obviously what she excels at.

5. Jason Mraz- He is one cool cat:-) There is not much you can say about his music by way of analysis. The only word I can use to describe his music is 'Honest'. Refreshing and utterly uncaring is what this guy has come to represent in my book of music. It does not hurt that he is a good looking dude too I suppose ( His MYSPACE page has many devoted fans begging to have his children:-)

I would love to write a whole lot more but since this is just a blog page... Anyway to just name a few more- James Morrisson, John West, Adele, Jack White...

In any case the deal's only going to get better, unless music also goes into recession:-( If you have time check these artists out and be glad you have me to introduce you to this luminary company:-) Ciao!

No comments: