Monday, December 8, 2008

SENNHEISER PX100

After a humongous amount of research I finally went and got myself a Sennheiser PX100 yesterday. And I am as pleased as punch with my latest toy! On a side note the seller tried to dupe me and pass off a fake as the real thing at first, but on closer observation and enquiry he finally popped the real thing out. Needless to say there was a huge difference in the sound quality between the two. It goes beyond logic to add also that the ipod stock earphones kow tow to these new headphones.

One thing I'm slowly realizing is that ipods are not exactly the most musical sounding DAP( for the uninitiated it stands for digital audio player) around. Several other brands such as creative, Microsoft Zune, Cowon and even Sansa are claimed to handle music much better. I tend to agree with this view but I don't dislike the ipod's sound signature either; nonetheless to my ears the humble 1g shuffle sounds better than all its other big brothers; dunno what Apple was thinking... So for those who want uncompromising sound quality get the Zune or the Cowon D2 instead.

Ok, coming back to headphones again, this time I went with an over the ear mini headphone instead of the usual IEM( In ear monitors). The reason was manifold-
a) Its much more comfortable.
b) It causes lesser ear fatigue.
c) It has a wider sound stage.
d) The sound also tends to be more realistic, in that it cames from outside the ear rather than from within the ear canal.

I liked the sound of these new headphones right out of the pack but I'm giving it a few more days of play for the burn in which I incidentally believe in. I am playing a loop of Pink and white noises through it which purportedly does the work of burn in quite effectively. For more info about these colorful names google them. Since these are still in the burn in phase I cannot give a full review as yet but I'll just say that they sound much better than the ipod stock earphones. If I were to quanitfy the change I'd say its about four times as good; but mind you this is very unscientific and I'm using the very dubious guessnomics as the standard here!

As to the price I paid 2,400 rs here in India which roughly translates to around 50$ according to the current exchange rate. You may get it for lesser but ebay India retails it for 2,699 and so I think it was a good price. I'll post pictures and a full review after a few days. One more thing, the gear came with a very cool case:-) Have a great day!

No comments: